To set up a project
- Create a new Plan timeline by clicking on "New Plan"
- Toggle "Timeline" ON
- Add all relevant segments to the project. E.g. our New Website project consisted of 1) Research, 2) Writing, 3) Design and Illustration, 4) Development, 5) Testing and Feedback, and 6) Iteration.
- Add tasks to each segments
- Add important milestones to keep track
- Assign tasks to relevant users Plan timeline gives you the visual overview of your project-specific plans in time. A clear reflection of the estimated schedule, as well as an indication of possible bottlenecks and crucial dates are in focus with this feature.
When you create segments that reflect the phases your project will go through, add and assign all tasks that need to be completed, and add the most important deadlines — you have an action plan!
Here's how to create, edit and navigate through your plans:
- Plans — this headline is placed over all project timelines you have on your workspace. You can navigate between them by clicking on them one by one. Right now, it's not possible to see more than one project at a time.
- Create a plan timeline by clicking on "+ New Plan"
- Navigate to a plan timeline. The icon with horizontal lines signifies a plan timeline like the one on the screenshot above. The highlighted plan is what you're concentrating on at the moment.
- Navigate to a board. The icon vertical lines signifies a plan board. Boards and plans are interlinked with the same data, so whenever you add dates to any task on your board, they will appear on the plan timeline. To see the board, you need to toggle the switch on in the header.
- Sidebar open and close button delivers what it promises. Use it to minimise the visual noise of the sidebar and to fully focus on the project at hand. Open it again whenever you need to navigate to somewhere else.
- Plan name and timeline-board switch. Plan name signifies the name of the plan you are looking at. right next to it, on the right, is the switch you can use to toggle between the board and timeline of the same plan.
- Date picker allows you to easily navigate to a desired date.
- Milestones help you keep an eye on the most important deadlines a project faces — be it a date where a project changes hands or needs to be presented to a client. Read more about milestones.
- The assignee of each task is represented by the avatar of that person. You can change or add an assignee by clicking on the task and choosing the best person for the job.
- Segments are the different phases your project goes through. Segments help you to easily keep an eye on your project, as it moves between those stages.
- Hide segments button is great when you need to get the full picture, without breaking it down too much.
- Add segment button adds a segment. Add as many as you need to get a clear overview of all the stages your project goes through.
- A task is the single smallest part of your timeline's visual overview. Read more on how to create and change a task.
- Zoom levels help you adjust the level of overview you need by choosing between the period of 1 week, 1 month, 3 months, and a year, the latter of which is a premium feature.
- Share the timeline with your clients, colleagues in another department, or anyone else by generating a link. The shared timeline is read-only. This means you're still in charge of setting up and editing the timeline (and therefore in full control of the content), but the people you've shared the link with can stay up-to-date with the progress without over-communication.
- Icebox holds all the tasks you haven't scheduled just yet. It's the best way to write down all the things you might forget, so you can schedule them when the time comes.
- Three dots menu allow quick access to edit, archive, delete and duplicate your timeline. Archiving transfers the task over to the archived folder on the sidebar. Duplication creates the same project outline — and you can choose to either duplicate only the segments the folder has or also include all the tasks if your project follows the identical pattern. With the latter option, however, you need to keep in mind you have to manually move all the tasks into their correct places.