Creating and Editing Tasks
Creating a task works the same way in every single view of Toggl Plan: simply click on the Timeline, thereby choosing the date for the task as well. For creating a task that lasts more than one day, you can also click and drag to make the task appear as long as you need it to be.
Task popup is where you can collect and present all the relevant information about the task at hand. This way you make sure everyone on your team has a clear overview of all the information.
Here's what's in the task popup, why it matters, how to set everything up and edit it.
- Name the task. Alongside with color (number 2 on the list), task name is the most visible part of any task on the timeline. Choose a name that will be clear to everyone involved with the task.
- Choose a color. Color coding is essential for getting a full overview of every planned task on your timeline. The colour you choose for the task when you first create a plan will be set as the default colour for your project.
- Status indicates the progress of your task: is it in progress or done? Tasks that have been marked as done appear differently on the timeline. You can also create a task in a board. Read further about creating and managing boards.
- Choose or create a project to provide an overview of the nature of the tasks you have taken on. Each project comes with a colour attached to it, which also helps with fast colour coding to further improve the visual overview.
- Choose a plan segment. Project segments help you easily track the stage of each project in the project-view.
- Add or choose a user to assign the task to. If you already invited users to your Toggl Plan workspace, you can simply choose the appropriate assignee from the dropdown list. However, should you not find the person from that list, you can either create a dummy user or insert an email address, the latter of which will automatically invite the user to your workspace. You can also assign the task to multiple users if you want to.
- From and to indicate the dates that you have chosen for your task by clicking on the place on the timeline. This is also where you can edit the said dates, making it appear in a different place on your timeline as well.
- By choosing the daily estimate, you are estimating how much time the task will take for the assignee each day.
- Start and end time are meant for tasks that need to get done during certain parts of the day.
- Notes is where you add all relevant information needed to complete the task. For the purpose of providing an overview, you can also format your notes by adding headlines, bulleted or numbered lists, links and even snippets of code or quotes.
- Checklists help you break tasks down into smaller chunks and write everything down, so that nothing goes unnoticed. Creating checklists also creates a small progress bar under the tasks in timeline view – and checking off each item will move the bar further along so you can easily track your progress.
- File upload will allow you to store all necessary files inside the task popup. The limit for the file size is 10MB for a free plan and 100MB for a paid plan.
- Change notification in the upper left corner will tell you when the task was last edited.
- Three dots menu in the upper righthand side allows you to copy a link to the task so you can share it directly with a colleague, as well as duplicate or delete the task. Duplication and deletion options are also available by right clicking on the task in the Timeline view.
- To close the task popup you can either click on "Close" in the upper right corner or simply click outside the task popup. All changes you make are saved automatically, so everything will be there whenever you open the task popup again.