Adding and Managing Users
Adding people you work with to Toggl Plan is an important part of getting the best overview of your workload. With your whole team on one Team timeline, you'll easily understand what the upcoming days, weeks and months look like for everyone.
- • User - refers to user allotment, whom you can assign tasks to. Users are divided into Workspace Members and Workspace Guests and they can be both 'ghost' (placeholder) and 'real (invited through email) users. Toggl Plan's paid subscription plans have per user pricing.
- • User role - determine which parts of your workspace a user is able to see and manipulate. Every user has a role in a workspace. The possible user roles are:
Admin - has access to all Teams and Plans, as well as billing information and user management.
One Admin, usually the person who created the Toggl Plan workspace, is a designated workspace Owner. Every workspace can only have one Owner at a time and only they can pass on this particular user role to another person, should the need arise. The Owner has full access to the whole workspace and is the only person who can delete the workspace.
Member - has access to all Teams and Plans in the workspace. By default, a Member can edit all Tasks, Teams and Plans. However, you can limit the Member to only being able to edit tasks assigned to them.
Guest - has access only to the Teams and Plans listed on their user profile. By default, a Guest can edit all Tasks, Teams and Plans they have access to. However, you can limit the Guest to only being able to edit tasks assigned to them.
- • Workspace Members - Admins (incl. Owner) and Members - these are users who can see all Tasks, Plans and Teams in the workspace by default.
- • Workspace Guests (Business feature) - Guests - these are users who only see Tasks, Plans and Teams they've been given access to.
- • Ghost user - created by just adding a name to a user. Without an email connected to it or simply no invitation sent, no actual person is invited to join to the workspace. However, tasks can still be assigned to the said ghost user. This type of user is best when planning resources without the need of inviting other people or when there is a lot of information that cannot be disclosed. Admins, Members and Guests can all be set up as ghosts initially.
- • Deactivating a user - handy if you think that the user (for example if they're a freelancer) might rejoin your team. It will remove the users from Team timelines and from your pricing plan. But in order to add them back, you just need to reactivate. All their tasks will become visible again after you reactivate.
- • Deleting a user - deletes the user and all data related to them (including Tasks assigned to them) from your workspace permanently.
- Navigate to User settings
- Click 'Invite Someone New'
- Fill out the user name, email and choose their role.
- Note that adding only a name or choosing not to send out an invite will create a ghost user.
- Adding an email address and keeping 'Send an email invite' checkbox ticked will send out an invitation link, asking the user to create a Toggl Plan account and join your workspace.
- Add the user to relevant Team timelines (for Admins and Members) or give access to relevant Plans and Teams (for Guests).
You can always start off by creating a ghost user and send an invitation later.
To manage users and their information, go to User settings and click on the user you wish to edit.
There you can change everything from public holidays to working hours and user roles. Public holidays are user-specific and will be visible on that person's swimlane on Team timeline.
The privacy regarding a person's name and e-mail address, is left for the users themselves to choose and manage.
Deleting and deactivating users can be done from the small icons at the top of the page.
- What if I invited an user but they did not receive the invitation?
First, please check the Junk Mail folder. If it’s not there, go to User Settings and try re-sending the invitation. If this does not work, please reach out to email@example.com.