Adding and Managing Users
In order to get the best overview of your plans and who's going to fulfil them, adding people you work with to Toggl Plan is an important part of that process. Only with users added, you get to benefit most from the Team timeline to fully understand what the upcoming days, weeks and months look like for everyone.
- • User - refers to user allotment, whom you can assign tasks, including both "dummy" (placeholder) and "real" (invited through email) users. Toggl Plan's paid subscription plans have per user pricing.
- • Access roles / user roles / permissions- determine which parts of your workspace a user is able to see and manipulate. Every user has a role in a workspace. The possible user roles are:
Can View (or View Timeline and Navigate) - has basic access to the workspace but they can't create anything new (Tasks, Plans, Teams). They can only update Tasks assigned to them. Adding Tasks and assigning them to Can View users is up to their manager. Does not have access to billing information and can't invite users or manage access roles.
Update Only (or Can only update existing Plans & Teams) - has basic access to the workspace and can also create and update Tasks in Plans and Teams they are a part of. They can't create new Plans or Teams. Does not have access to billing information and can't invite users or manage access roles.
Can Edit (or Edit everyone's tasks) - has full editing access to the workspace (Plans, Teams, Tasks). Does not have access to billing information and can't invite users or manage access roles.
Admin (or Access billing and timeline settings) - has full editing access to the workspace (Plans, Teams, Tasks), including to billing-related information. Can invite users and manage access roles.
Owner (or Workspace owner) - usually the person who created the workspace. Every workspace can only have one owner at a time and only they can pass on this particular user role to another person, should the need arise. The owner has full access to the whole workspace and is the only person who can delete the workspace.
- • Team members - users added to your workspace who will automatically have access to all Plans and Teams. Team members can have any of the user roles listed above.
- • Access rights and Guests (paid feature) - determines which Plans and Teams a user has access to. Access rights is a Business plan feature that enables you to invite Guests to your workspace and define which Plans and Teams they should see. Guests can only have Can View or Update Only user roles. Guests are also users counted towards the per user pricing.
- • Dummy user - created by just adding a name to a user. Without an email connected to it, no actual person is invited to join to the workspace, but tasks can still be assigned to the said dummy user. This type of user is best when planning resources without the need of inviting other people or when there is a lot of information that cannot be disclosed.
- • Deactivating a user - handy if you think that the team member, or freelancer might rejoin your team. It will remove the users from Team timelines and from your pricing plan. But in order to add them back, you just need to reactivate. All their tasks will become visible again after you reactivate.
- • Deleting a user - deletes the user and all data related to them (including Tasks assigned to them) in your workspace permanently.
- Navigate to User settings
- Click 'Invite New Users'
- Add a name or e-mail address and select a user role from the drop-down menu appearing to the right side of the field.
- Note that adding only a name will create a dummy user.
- Adding an email address will give your team member access to your workspace.
This will send out an invitation link, asking the user to create a Toggl Plan account and join your workspace.
You can always start off by creating a dummy user and adding and email, thus sending an invitation, later on.
With the Business subscription plan, you can additionally choose between inviting Team Members and Guests. Team Members have access to the whole workspace while with Guests, you can precisely define which Teams and Plans they should be able to see.
To manage users and their information, go to User settings and click on the user you wish to edit.
You can change everything to do with how you work from public holidays to working hours and access roles. Public holidays are user-specific and will be visible on that person's team timeline.
The privacy regarding a person's name and e-mail address, is left for the users themselves to choose and manage.
When your team members leave or change roles, it's sometimes necessary to delete or deactivate users. This can be done from the small icons up top.
- What if I invited an user but they did not receive the invitation?
First, please check the Junk Mail folder. If it’s not there, go to User Settings and try re-sending the invitation or simply copy and paste the invite URL to send it to them manually. If this does not work, please reach out to email@example.com.